This project is read-only.

TFS has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I am getting a "TFS has encountered a problem and needs to close." whenever I try to execute the installed exe. What I've done is:

1. Downloaded the source code in changeset 45681 (tried with 43743 and 43742 as well).

2. Opened the Solution under Main.

3. Compiled the solution in Release mode. Copied the Setup Package and installed the software.

The installed exe gives the above error. Am I doing something wrong ?

The alpha version (initial ) in the Download link works perfect, but is very incomplete.

Thanks

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Hey Sanjumj,

Incomplete would be an understatement but time has been very limited.  The alpha does what it does the alerting very well but is sure missing some features.  Later build have some more screens for things like filters and server mgt but it’s buggy.  The installer is pretty much useless on Vista +.  The app actually writes some id’s to the config file ( long story, and has changed since alpha ) and on Vista + you cannot write to the ProgramFiles like you could on XP.  Having said that. You really don’t need the installer.  Just copy the output anywhere and just run it.

Now the later builds we started injecting some WF to do thinks like manage RS232 connections.   I’ve have a police light that turns on an off based on a failing build status.  *warning* There are a number of bugs in there.

I am looking into what a revamp for 2010 might look like. But that work hasn’t begun.

I always use it, so I am happy to help you get it running and take any input you have.

Clark

Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:04 AM
To: Clark Sell
Subject: TFS has encountered a problem and needs to close. [TfsAlert:204454]

I am getting a "TFS has encountered a problem and needs to close." whenever I try to execute the installed exe. What I've done is:

1. Downloaded the source code in changeset 45681 (tried with 43743 and 43742 as well).

3. Compiled the solution in Release mode. Copied the Setup Package and installed the software.

The alpha version (initial ) in the Download link works perfect, but is very incomplete.

Thanks

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TfsAlert@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TfsAlert@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:25 PM
csell5 wrote:

Hey Sanjumj,

Incomplete would be an understatement but time has been very limited.  The alpha does what it does the alerting very well but is sure missing some features.  Later build have some more screens for things like filters and server mgt but it’s buggy.  The installer is pretty much useless on Vista +.  The app actually writes some id’s to the config file ( long story, and has changed since alpha ) and on Vista + you cannot write to the ProgramFiles like you could on XP.  Having said that. You really don’t need the installer.  Just copy the output anywhere and just run it.

Now the later builds we started injecting some WF to do thinks like manage RS232 connections.   I’ve have a police light that turns on an off based on a failing build status.  *warning* There are a number of bugs in there.

I am looking into what a revamp for 2010 might look like. But that work hasn’t begun.

I always use it, so I am happy to help you get it running and take any input you have.

Clark

Thanks

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TfsAlert@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TfsAlert@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Hi Clark

Thanks for the reply. The reason why I am bugging you for getting this thing work is only because, ITS A GREAT TOOL ! If this works, I need to share this with my developers (We have a very dynamic issue process in TFS)

I am trying to install in Windows XP only and not Vista. I tried copying the output and double clicked on the TFSAlert.exe. Except for a black screen (which says, Continuous Monitor), I dont get anything. I checked the config file. Your initial version had settings for TFS Server and user credentials, the config file in the build output does not have it.

Hopfully, you'll make this tool from GRAET to TERRIFIC.

Thanks

Sanju

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM

First question what version of TFS?  The released version expects tfs 2k5 but it’s just a few minor updates to get to 2k8.

If you’re on XP then stay on the published version’s changeset.  There is a bit of manual configuration: see http://csell.net/2006/11/01/TfsAlert0300Released.aspx

Let me know and I will get you up and running.

Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: TFS has encountered a problem and needs to close. [TfsAlert:204454]

csell5 wrote:

Hey Sanjumj,

Incomplete would be an understatement but time has been very limited. The alpha does what it does the alerting very well but is sure missing some features. Later build have some more screens for things like filters and server mgt but it’s buggy. The installer is pretty much useless on Vista +. The app actually writes some id’s to the config file ( long story, and has changed since alpha ) and on Vista + you cannot write to the ProgramFiles like you could on XP. Having said that. You really don’t need the installer. Just copy the output anywhere and just run it.

Now the later builds we started injecting some WF to do thinks like manage RS232 connections. I’ve have a police light that turns on an off based on a failing build status. *warning* There are a number of bugs in there.

Clark

Thanks

Hi Clark

Thanks for the reply. The reason why I am bugging you for getting this thing work is only because, ITS A GREAT TOOL ! If this works, I need to share this with my developers (We have a very dynamic issue process in TFS)

I am trying to install in Windows XP only and not Vista. I tried copying the output and double clicked on the TFSAlert.exe. Except for a black screen (which says, Continuous Monitor), I dont get anything. I checked the config file. Your initial version had settings for TFS Server and user credentials, the config file in the build output does not have it.

Hopfully, you'll make this tool from GRAET to TERRIFIC.

Thanks

Sanju

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Hi  Clark

The version is 2008.

I have already tried the released version and it does the job of alerting me in a balloon popup, perfectly. I was trying to tweak the  event filter expression to get Issues assigned in a particular team project for a particular user (we have multiple TFS Projects and have many Areas / Iteration Paths). I was successful in tweaking the filter expression for the "Team Project", but was unsuccessful with the "Assigned To" filter.

My filter expression was

<add eventType="WorkItemChangedEvent" selected="true" subscriptionId="0" filterExpression="PortfolioProject='ProjectName' AND State='Active' AND AssignedTo='UserName'" />

Am I doing something wrong in the above expression ?

I have seen in some other discussion thread, that the new release of TFSAlert will be able to form complex filter expressions. I thought, the latest changeset (no. 45681) will have this feature and just wanted to try it out. I tried it out, as you've advised me. Copied the build output and executed the exe, instead of installing it. When I did that I get a black screen, which says Continuous Monitoring and some traffic lights.

If I am able to use the published alpha version of TFSAlert, in such a way to filter the Team Project and Assigned To (and if possible, Areas and Iterations as well - am I asking too much ?), I will be more than happy.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I think you will need to use the later bits because of the filter expression.  Let me pull down the latest and see what shape I left it.

More to come.

Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: TFS has encountered a problem and needs to close. [TfsAlert:204454]

Hi Clark

The version is 2008.

I have already tried the released version and it does the job of alerting me in a balloon popup, perfectly. I was trying to tweak the event filter expression to get Issues assigned in a particular team project for a particular user (we have multiple TFS Projects and have many Areas / Iteration Paths). I was successful in tweaking the filter expression for the "Team Project", but was unsuccessful with the "Assigned To" filter.

My filter expression was

<add eventType="WorkItemChangedEvent" selected="true" subscriptionId="0" filterExpression="PortfolioProject='ProjectName' AND State='Active' AND AssignedTo='UserName'" />

I have seen in some other discussion thread, that the new release of TFSAlert will be able to form complex filter expressions. I thought, the latest changeset (no. 45681) will have this feature and just wanted to try it out. I tried it out, as you've advised me. Copied the build output and executed the exe, instead of installing it. When I did that I get a black screen, which says Continuous Monitoring and some traffic lights.

If I am able to use the published alpha version of TFSAlert, in such a way to filter the Team Project and Assigned To (and if possible, Areas and Iterations as well - am I asking too much ?), I will be more than happy.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:40 PM

So I pulled down the latest and it started bringing back some memories.  I forgot I started adding prism framework to expand the UI features.  That is far from working, which is why you’re not seeing anything work.  I assume you are trying the latest off “Main”?  If so, that explains a lot.  I started taking tfsAlert through a major refactoring where it would become not only an alerting engine but a dashboard as well.

Check out the latest at “tfsalert\Dev\tfs2008\Source”.

the only thing is the UI that is there to setup the expression might not work right depending on the expression.  But you could just modify the file that is isolated storage.

I will pull down that version and crawl into it some and see if I can provide some more details.

On another note…

I actually plan on making some changes to the framework over the next few weeks.  Are you running .NET 4?

Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:04 AM

Hi Clark

The version is 2008.

I have already tried the released version and it does the job of alerting me in a balloon popup, perfectly. I was trying to tweak the event filter expression to get Issues assigned in a particular team project for a particular user (we have multiple TFS Projects and have many Areas / Iteration Paths). I was successful in tweaking the filter expression for the "Team Project", but was unsuccessful with the "Assigned To" filter.

My filter expression was

<add eventType="WorkItemChangedEvent" selected="true" subscriptionId="0" filterExpression="PortfolioProject='ProjectName' AND State='Active' AND AssignedTo='UserName'" />

Thanks

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Clark

You are right, I was trying with the code in Main.

Today, as you've advised, I have compiled the code in Dev (It didnt compile initially, gave an error that EXE does not contain static 'Main'). Compiled in Release mode and somehow, I've got a compiled exe. I can see that, now the server connection is integrated into the "Settings" rather than the config file. coool...

You said, "but you could just modify the file that is isolated storage". Where is this isolated storage? I mean, when I set the server connections and eventtype filters, where are they getting saved? I have noticed that the expressions are not getting saved and everytime I exit the TFSAlert, it clears the saved expressions. I need to recreate them everytime. Any workaround for this ?

I am not running .NET4. Running .NET3, at present.

Thanks